Wednesday 27 August 2008

Buddhists know how to protest





(this is a post that I actually put together a week ago, showing just how late I have been).

I'm back in Seoul, just arrived three days ago. For now I am staying with a friend in Mok-Deung, which is about twenty minutes from the center of Seoul. I've spent my time here so far settling in at my university and looking for a homestay, preparing for a year in a foreign country takes a lot more paperwork than you might think.

I managed to attend a big protest at the Seoul City Hall Plaza yesterday, having missed out on the American beef protests I felt like I owed it to myself to see some kind of demonstration. Korean Buddhists are upset after a number of incidents involving the current administration that indicate a bias against their religion. I've read about the perceived bias and I think it sounds pretty concocted, but it made for a bang-up protest.

I emerged from the subway entrance by the protest and was suddenly in a sea of monks and elderly Koreans.

The New York Times also covered the protest, they have a great picture of the actual monks who were praying at the center of the crowd. here

2 comments:

gus said...

At least there seems to be some religious diversity and rivalry in SK

gus said...

There may be no ethnic diversity in
SK, but at least there seems to be some religious rivalry. This is surely healthy? so long as it doesn't get out of hand.