Sunday 15 February 2009

my travelogue Part 2

So... continuing my post from a month ago, here is the second part of my trip around the country. There are a lot of windy, barren views in these pictures, but the countryside isn't nearly so lifeless. About three months from now the whole countryside will be a brilliant green due to all of the rice fields.

After heading to Andong, which is a very traditional area near central Korea, my mother and I continue our drive.

Yeosu is a port city that is just about as far south as you can go on the Korean peninsula.

Fishing trawlers lined up off shore to enter the port city, and silos clustered around where they would later dock in the city.


Nearby the city were a few secluded beaches, which looked like they would have been great during the summer. The picture above shows fish drying on a line by one of those beaches, they're abandoned during the winter.

This little guy jealously guarded an old farmhouse by the beach, up until my mother, with her deep for all things dog, convinced him to come up to us. It is very rare to see dogs in Korea, most of the ones in Seoul are strays. Unfortunately, eating dogs is still pretty popular among older Koreans and in certain traditional areas. I took care to avoid showing my mother those traditional butcher shops.

Spicy red peppers are used in literally 90% of all dishes in Korea. The above sacks were about as big as my whole body, deposited outside of a kimchi store near Yeosu. We bought some bulk kimchi there for my host family and for my mother to take back to America. There literally is nothing more Korean than Kimchi in my mind, extremely potent, always available, and not easy for foreign palates at the first bite.

One last picture of Yeosu at night, this is near the hotel where we stayed.

No comments: