Saturday 20 September 2008

B-Boys, TV

I wanted to wait until it was sure that I was getting this before I posted, but I filmed a part for a tv show on Channel SBS this afternoon. I got a call this past Wednesday from an SBS producer who got my number through my homestay broker. They were putting together a show in a series of educational/entertaining variety shows that are pretty common here. Essentially, I and two other foreigners ate a lot of Korean food until we were stuffed, then chugged a bottle of this medicinal syrup they use here for upset stomachs, all on camera.

The syrup didn't really do anything except leave a strange taste in my mouth, but the producer apparently liked what I did. There was a lot of exaggerated "I'm way too full" acting involved, nothing too complicated. As I was getting ready to leave the little studio where they did the filming, the producer asked me if I would be interested in doing other acting for them, as a part time job. Needless to say, the idea of getting paid to do really weird/interesting things on camera really appeals to me. I got pretty decently paid for the three hours of work today, and I should get about as much as I would tutoring English if they decide to call me back in the future.

I realize that the only reasons why I interested the producer was because I am very obviously a foreigner and can speak a bare minimum of Korean, acting ability doesn't really come into play. I felt a little guilty after she offered me the job because she didn't say anything similar to the other two people who worked on the show, a Malaysian guy and a Japanese woman. Both of them had perfect Korean, maybe a little too perfect for a show that is trying to demonstrate how foreigners interact with a new culture. I will mention it in the future if I ever get a call back from SBS.

In case anyone is able to watch the clip in Korea, (it should be about ten minutes), it will be on channel SBS in early October, I still need to hear about the exact date and time. I will also try to upload it here.

Later in the day, I went to the KB B-Boy World Masters 2008, an international B-Boy competition that goes on at the Seoul Olympic Stadium. Eight teams, including China, Japan, Netherlands, Korea, and France (defending champions) spent a few hours breakdancing in front of a wild crowd. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera and no clips are up yet on Youtube, but there is some good video up from last year's competition.


(official poster)
Korea is pretty famous for its breakdancing, I certainly wasn't disappointed. I was surprised at how many other artists they had performing besides the b-boys. Big Bang, Mighty Mouth, and a few others, all really popular Korean pop artists. The lineup made for strange audience, young girls and middle-aged women who were there for the boy bands, and a crowd of 20 somethings who were there for the b-boys. Either way, I had a great time. They have a half dozen or so similar international competitions here each year, so hopefully I grab my own video and upload it in the future.

In case you are wondering, a Korean breakdancing team was the winner, with the Americans coming in second (we were robbed, as were the French). Breakdancing at this level is pretty incredible, headspins for a minute at a time, double back flips ten feet in the air, it's not really dancing at that point, but it sure is fun to watch.


No comments: