Saturday 13 September 2008

Doctor Fish

I promised someone that I would talk about another unique experience I've had here, having my feet eaten by fish voluntarily.

At many spas and a few cafes in Seoul there is a sign that says "Dr. Fish." Dr. Fish, as they are called, are actually a species of fish that love to eat dead skin from your feet, dead skin and nothing else, (fortunately). For about five dollars you can go to a cafe, have a drink, and talk with friends while these little guys go to work.

The only picture I have is actually one that I didn't take, I was so distracted during the experience that I forgot to take any shots. This is one that I got from Wikipedia, but it looks the same.

It looks a little strange, and it feels like nothing else in the world, but it's definitely worth a try. I would say the closest sensation is having your feet licked by dozens of scratchy little cat tongues. A funny part of the experience if you do it with friends is that you get to see who has the most dead skin on their feet, as the fish are highly selective about what they eat. When I went, one girl attracted an unbelievable amount of fish, but kept insisting it was only because she wore heels a lot. Funny stuff

1 comment:

YourOpinionCounts said...

I have wondered about doing that myself. I think it would be really neat to try.