Sunday 11 July 2010

Travels with Auntie

Differently from the last year when I was a student in Korea, my days are now kept busy with going to work and commuting. While it feels fine and dandy to finally be working 9 to 6, wearing a suit, and using Outlook, it means that I get little chance to travel or spend time with friends like I had last year. Instead, I end up spending the few hours each night between the gym, dinner, and sleep, watching Korean soap operas with my host mom and her sister. What I have lost in raucous exchange student revelry, I have gained in gossip and overacting. Both women are fun to talk to, and probably the best language teachers I have ever had, if only for their patience and constant willingness to answer my questions.

My host mother is actually suffering from some kind of pain in the nerves in her neck, (as well as a half a dozen other symptoms, I really don't know what to call her illness. She is also apparently supposed to avoid bread and milk, per order of her doctors) so she doesn't get out of the house very much. When I am finally free from work on the weekends, she decides its a fine time to go on trips. Most of the time, I tag along on her excursions.



She is literally the most high-spirited and outgoing Korean ladies I have ever met. It was a stroke of luck that I found her through a homestay website the first time that I came, and now she insists that I call her Imo, (이모) which means "the sister of my mother". The picture above is from when we went to park in the middle of the river that runs through Seoul. As you can tell from the massive sun visor she is wearing, as well as the parasol her sister is carrying in the background, they both share the Korean woman's primal fear of sunlight and getting a tan.



The above is a picture I took earlier today, when we went to visit her two younger brothers, (both married) at an apartment in the northeast of the city. Today is the day before Chobok, traditionally the beginning of the hottest period of the summer. In order to make it through this draining period of high humidity and higher temperatures, people normally eat chicken stew with their relatives. I was just glad they didn't ask me to dine on dog, another food that is supposed to restore energy.

In the picture, she was sitting with her family and playing games with the children on one of the flat wooden platforms that Korean use instead of picnic tables, or tables in general.

My host mother originally took care of her three younger siblings when they all moved into a boarding house in Seoul in order to go to a decent high school. Children living apart from their parents (who remain in the countryside) in a city in order to go to school isn't that unusual.



You probably know this scrub. I'm standing in front of a tomb of one of the Choson-era kings. The setting is quite nice, which is why my host mom's family chose to picnic in the area. The only interruption to the quiet forested tomb was the sound of gunfire from nearby, as it is adjacent to a military training camp. Bullets sound remarkably like firecrackers.

I'm in the midst of planning for a trip to Shanghai right now, I have about a week in between when my internship ends and when I have to report to Hawaii, so I want to see a little bit more of my neighborhood. If anyone has any specific suggestions for things to see in the city, let me know in the comments.

1 comment:

gus said...

Hi Handsome! Don't miss:
Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)
Shanghai Stock Exchange
Shanghai Museum
Sara Nauman's About.com Guide,"Ten things to do on your own..."